PRESS RELEASES
Source: Public Relations and Information Bureau
« OTHER NEWS
SC's issuance of status quo ante on RH law draws mixed reactions
Send FeedBack 
21 March 2013 08:57:09 AM
Writer: Jazmin S. Camero, Media Relations Service-PRIB
A lawmaker today welcomed the Supreme Court's decision to stop for 120 days the implementation of the reproductive health law.
Rep. Reena Concepcion Obillo (Party-list, Una ang Pamilya) expressed full confidence in the good judgment of the magistrates in their consolidated petitions against the RH law.
"I thank the Supreme Court for acting on the various petitions on the Reproductive Health law, allowing a four-month cool off period in its implementation. I think 120 days is enough time to carefully study the merits of the petitions filed," Obillo said.
"I look at it as a positive action from the Supreme Court. While they are reviewing the merits of the case, hot heads and issues are expected to cool off. I just hope the four-month period will bring positive and fair judgment on the case," Obillo added.
Earlier in a public statement, Rep. Edcel Lagman (1st District, Albay), the principal author of the reproductive health law, expressed confidence that the magistrates will sustain the legitimacy of the law after the oral arguments.
"The temporary delay in the implementation of the RH law will enable the Supreme Court to fully assess the merits and demerits of the pending petitions challenging the constitutionality of the law and I believe, eventually the constitutionality of the law will be sustained," Lagman said.
The Supreme Court en banc issued a 120-day status quo ante order in the consolidated cases involving the RH law.
The magistrates set the oral arguments on the consolidated cases against the RH law on June 18 of this year.
Total views: 14